What is the Sports Premium?
The PE and sport premium is an additional grant of money provided directly to schools by the government which is designed to help primary schools improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils.
Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best of way using of the money. However, the government suggests that school can use funding to:
- hire specialist PE teachers
- hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools.
We believe that physical activity not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development. Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others. Through sport and other physical activities our children will learn about their responsibilities both as individuals and members of groups and teams. They learn to cooperate and to compete fairly, understanding their own and other’s roles.
Read below about how we spent our Sports Premium grant in 2014 2015. There is also a report about the impact of our swimming lesson programme.